Monday, July 23, 2012

Wisconsin State Park Pet Rules


I thought I'd share the information I found regarding pets in Wisconsin State Parks. You can check out detailed info here.
  • Pets must be on leash no longer than 8ft
  • Pets most not be left unattended
  • Pick up after your pets
  • Pets allowed in most campgrounds, trails (except cross country ski trails), and roads.  
  • No pets in buildings, observation towers, picnic areas/beaches (except those designated ok), or playgrounds
I know that U.S. National Parks tend to be very dog phobic, and it always did frustrate me that horses (who poop and leave messes behind) were allowed on the trails but not dogs. Wisconsin State Parks so far seem to be pretty dog friendly and the rules are reasonable.

On hikes we tend to have Mr. P on his leash, because he does have a tendency to run up and greet fellow hikers (not a problem if they are dog lovers like us, but I always hate making others feel insecure if they aren't dog people). The leash rule is pretty frustrating at the campsite though. Mr. P never leaves are side and it just feels weird tying him up. On our last camping trip to Peninsula State Park, we brought a dog stake (sorta like this one "Dog Tieout Stake with Swivel in Black" ). I have to say the cord we used was much longer than 8ft. The funny thing is, if your dog really needed to be tied up to stay close by, I think the pup could rip it right out of the ground!

Picking up poop is a no brainer. It irritates me like all heck to see messes left on the trails. At the very least owners should move the mess with a twig off the trail.

What dog rules do you swear by? What ones do you fudge?


  

No comments:

Post a Comment